When you sell online it is vital you keep the law and ensure you follow all legislation within the country you sell in.

All online sellers must comply with UK product legislation, including the following:

The General Product Safety Regulations

The Toy Safety Regulations

The EU Regulation 1223/2009 (Cosmetics Regulation)

The Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations

The Hallmark Act 1973

The Nickel in Jewellery Regulations

The Food Imitation Safety Regulations

The Food Hygiene Regulations

In all cases you should make sure your work complies with the above legislation. 

If in doubt contact your local trading standards office.

The most common queries we receive in relation to product legislation are cosmetics, toys and handmade food.


If you want to sell handmade soaps, scrubs or bath bombs you MUST ensure your products comply with the EU Regulation 1223/2009 (Cosmetics Regulation), even if you only intend to sell on a very small scale.

This remains the current legislation covering the production and sale of soap in the UK. 

The aim of the legislation is to protect the public as well as the maker.

Cosmetics are defined as “any substance or preparation intended to be placed in contact with the various external parts of the human body with a view exclusively or mainly to cleaning them, perfuming them, changing their appearance, correcting body odours, protecting them, or keeping them in good condition” as stated in the The Cosmetics Products (Safety) Regulations 2008.

If you sell cosmetics you should contact your local trading standards office to find our how you can comply with the regulations (which covers use of different ingredients as well as labelling).


A toy is “any product or material designed or clearly intended for use in play by a child of less than 14 years of age” as stated in The Toys (Safety) Regulations 1995

You should contact your local trading standards office to clarify what you need to do to comply with the regulations (there are a couple of different routes you can take both of which require certification).

Toy Manufacturers and their responsibilities

Homemade Food

If you are planning to sell your homemade food, please contact your local Council for advice on the rules, as laws vary depending on where you live and how regularly you sell.

If you intend to make an income from your homemade food, it is likely that you will need to register your kitchen with the local authority (this is free to do) and take a simple course in food hygiene.

Food Standards Agency

Food Hygiene – A Guide for Businesses

You can find more information on your legal responsibilities as a seller and manufacturer here www.gov.uk/guidance/product-safety-for-manufacturers

Please note: When you use nuMONDAY as a platform it is your legal responsibility to ensure that you follow all legal guidelines and research.

nuMONDAY only facilitates a sale and is not accountable or responsible father product quality or legality of the product being sold.

This responsibility is with the seller.